Thursday, August 14, 2008

the zoya factor

Read the Zoya Factor this weekend (my weekend that is: Tuesday/Wednesday-dont ask, long story!). The book had lots of week points but was very high on the feel good/ warm fuzzy factor so I would recommend it highly.
The story is cliched- well not the basic storyline, but how the plot develops, the characters, etc. I also couldn't really connect with the protagonist. She seemed a tad bit dumbish, and not even in the cute scatter-brained type of way. And the writing itself was a little bit contrived- you know the strained type that doesn't really flow?
That said, the book does draw you in. Its chick-lit, unabashedly so, and it uses the cliches of the genre to good effect, creating many of those giggle-out-loud moments, or the big-smile-plastered-on-your-face-though-you-dont-even- know- it's-there situations. And like i said before, it leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling. Perfect lazy sunday afternoon read. One review I read said that the book makes you want to fall in love all over again. Well I wont go as far as that, but I know what the reviewer meant...
The bigger impact of the book on me has been that I've decided to write a chicklit of my own. Big Feet and I are collaborating on it, with music advice (yes, it's that kind of book) from mem. We have the basic plot line figured and we plan to use the next couple of days (yaay, holidays!!) to get the outline down, and who knows, maybe even a chapter or two??
So, here's to our first million!

3 comments:

mem said...

yaaaaaaaaay!

A said...

To the uninformed reader, its our first million in dollars (CBM: lets upgrade it to pounds). Atleast we cant be accused of thinking small!

mem said...

the book has a few 'week' points eh?